Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Día de virgin de los Angeles

Remember last week when I wrote that my goal was to post something on my blog everyday? Yeah, maybe next time I should set lower goals, as I obviously didn’t meet that one! Well, better late than never as they say. ☺

This past weekend was full of adventures!

Saturday I participated in a Catholic holiday here in Cost Rica called, virgin de los Angeles Day. The actual holiday was Monday, but Costa Rican’s celebrated it all weekend. It is a day dedicated to the patron saint of Costa Rica, a little tiny black statue of Mary. Since the day that I arrived in Costa Rica, I have been hearing about this special time! The Catholic Church in Cartago is the dwelling place for la negrita (Mary). All weekend, devoted Catholics (and curious Christians like myself!) made the pilgrimage to Cartago on foot. They walk for hours - days even to reach the temple. Once they arrive, they get down on their knees and prayerfully inch toward the front of the sanctuary where la negrita is displayed in all her glory (she even wears a special dress that weekend made of gold – ha). They believe that Mary is their gateway to God. She has the power to heal, give blessings, and grant miracles. Essentially, (although they wouldn’t say this) she has replaced Jesus Christ.

Last week as I was eating breakfast, Willy asked me if I wanted to walk with them to Cartago. Without even considering what I was agreeing to I said: Sure! And it was sealed; Celsy and I, as well as our neighbors - Vivian and Fernando, would walk to Cartago on Saturday. Thankfully, Cartago is only about 11 miles away from San José. As the week went on, I started getting more and more excited about this adventure. I’m so glad that I was able to do it. Celcy told me that she has wanted to do it her whole life but never has. For the last four years she has been trying to get someone to do it with her and no one has ever committed. So because I run every morning, she thought I might like to do it with her, and our neighbors joining in as well made it even better!

Saturday finally came. We had a lunch loaded with carbs: bread, rice, fruit, beans, chicken, and fruit-juice. At 2:00 we loaded in the car and Willy drove us to the center of San José. He was pretty funny. He had no desire to walk with us; however, I think he still wanted to feel like he was a part of this adventure (we did talk about it ALL week, I’m sure he was feeling left out). So he was our designated chofer. He was so great; he dropped us off, came and picked us up, and even called us every hour on the dot to see how it was going! Well, he drove us to the middle of a highway, and we quickly jumped out and ran to the side of the road avoiding all the cars. He drove away and there we were – ready to start the journey! We were not alone; there were thousands of people walking with us. As far as the eye could see, there were people making the same journey. Along the way there were vendors selling merchandise – fruit, drinks, rain jackets, snacks, and Mary paraphernalia.
Every few miles we passed Red Cross stations with medical staff ready and prepared for anything. There were also people handing out free stuff. Before we had even walked a mile, some guy handed us some pain medicine (some type of Motrin I think) and was like: Here, you’re going to need this! This made me a little scared…

A good majority of the walk was uphill, due to this, and all the street vendors and things to see, we moved at a pretty slow pace. After walking about four miles, we stopped for cafécito at a random little church along the way. You know you are in Costa Rica when you take a break from something like this for cafécito!! Celcy had packed energy refreshments: Gatorade, chocolate, and cookies – a diet of champions!

The walk took us five hours in total – but it seemed like so much longer. I had my Nike watch on so I was able to clock the distance – 11 miles exactly. I was the designated backpack carrier. I’m pretty accustomed to caring heavy backpacks (going to a college that is build on a hill will do that to you). At first I didn’t even notice the weight on my back. As time and miles progressed, it started to feel heavier and heavier. Then my back actually started aching. I kept shifting the weight as best as I could to give my muscles some relief. Somewhere around mile 9 or 10, I stopped noticing my backache. I had grown accustomed to it and no longer noticed it. This was a good reminder of what sin is like in our lives and what Jesus can do for us. Sin is always fun, isn’t it? It’s enjoyable at first. Slowly, as the sin remains in our lives, it starts to weigh heavier on our souls. It separates us from God, and we carry the weight and consequences of it. Unconffesed sin starts to build-up, and eventually, if we continue in this state, we quench the Holy Spirit and grow numb to our sin. We become desensitized. This sin can be settle - worry, insecurity, pride, bitterness, unforgiveness, jealousy, anger, or it can be more physical – sexual sin, stealing, cheating, lying etc. We carry these burdens; however, He has paid the price for us so that we don’t have to be enslaved to these burdens. Worry is a good example of this. Life blows in so many storms, and I can easily become enslaved to fear and the need to be in control and worry can start to consume me. I can try so hard on my own and that burden is hard to carry. The bible says:

Cast your cares on the LORD
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall. Psalm 55:2

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand. Psalm 37:23,24

As I was walking and begrudging the weight on my back, I prayed that God would help me to never carry any burdens or sins, but that He would give me a hate for sin as He has. And that I would recognize and listen to the voice of the Holy spirit in my life – never growing desensitized to sin so that I would immediately know when I have sinned and rid my spirit of the burden through immediate repentance.

Well the walk continued on for five hours. I had prayed that God would give me opportunities to share the gospel with Celcy and our neighbors along the way. I tried several times to start such conversations, but they never went very far, unfortunately. I asked them why they couldn’t just talk to Jesus directly. Our neighbor told me that it’s because Jesus is just too busy. I asked them: but isn’t Mary busy? They quickly responded no and changed the subject. On another attempt I asked them why Mary was their mediator to God when the Bible says that Jesus is our only mediator. To this they gave me an explanation about how Mary is very holy and can talk to God for them, but that they can also talk to Jesus if they want to. And gain, the subject was quickly changed. I finally just said that I talk to Jesus directly and love Him and that I wouldn’t be worshiping Mary.

We finally made it to the city of Cartago… our excitement was growing – at any moment we would see the church and end our long journey. By this time, the sun was long gone, and the chilly night air was refreshing on our tired and sweaty bodies. At last, we could see the lights from the large and extravagant church in the far off distance! I’ve never before been so excited to see a Catholic church! There were thousands of people at the church! It was quite spectacular. Police blocked off the entire perimeter of the church. The only cars that were allowed to get close were taxis, so that the people could return home. Once we approached the church doors, I insisted on waiting outside with all the bags while the others went in to see Mary. I had already made it clear that I was only along for the journey and didn’t want to do any of the Mary worshiping. As I sat in the doorway and waited for the others, I took-in all that was going on. As soon as the people arrived at the doors of the church, they got onto their knees and prayerfully inched towards the front where Mary, the priests, and the nuns where. Some people were crying, some had their heads to the floor, some people had children and babies, and some were praying out loud.

The whole thing saddened and numbed me at the same time. There were SO many people! All of them were so close, and yet so so far away from the truth. They believe in Jesus Christ, but He’s not their savior – there is still so much that they are missing and so much that they have added to the gospel (I’m not saying that every Catholic is not saved. I’m sure there are some who have a saving relationship with Christ – but it’s not the majority.). All of them have so much dedication (they just walked for hours –days even to come and worship and pray to Mary! How many Christians would be willing to do the same for Christ?) And they have so much faith - they earnestly believe in what they practice. The whole thing is just very sad.

After the others finished at the church, Willy came and picked us up and we all went and had dinner at the house of la China (She is one of their friends who lives in Cartago. This was my second time at her house – she is a very good friend of theirs. I’m not sure what her actual name is… she is not Chinese, but her eyes have some resemblance of Chinese eyes and therefore we all call her la china….)

At the end of the day, I was eager to go to bed! My tired body slept like a baby! It was a great experience and I’m glad that I went. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...