Monday, October 18, 2010

Back in middleschool...

Do you remember that awkward stage of life known as middle school? Yes, that time in your life when you started developing a strange fascination for the opposite sex, which stood in complete contradiction to that earth shattering reality from elementary school that they all have cooties? A middle-schooler must wrestle with this inner controversy over the course of three years, until he/she finally discovers the truth regarding that strange species. Most of us make it out of these awkward years with a healthy appreciation for the opposite sex. We (hopefully) master the fine skill of relating to and interacting with that once cootie infested species.

As I learned yesterday, not everyone made it out of middle school mastering those skills…

Seeing as how there are no Starbucks in Costa Rica, I went to the next best thing: Taco Bell, to get some studying done after church. I picked a table, spread-out my books and note-cards, and tuned-out the rest of the world as I studied for my “Advanced Oral and Written Expression” midterm. After about an hour of this, I began to notice the two men sitting a few tables away from me - two ticos who looked to be my age. I picked-up on the fact that I was becoming a focal point at their table. I could feel them staring at me; however, since coming to Costa Rica, this is nothing new. I seem to have a big sign on my forehead that says: GRINGA (Spanish term for White American girl), because EVERYWHERE I go I attract unwanted attention (maybe it's the blond hair, blue eyes, pail skin, or my terrible accent... I don't know...). As this was nothing new, I ignored the stares. A few minutes later, I noticed both of them get up. One of them walked past me and out of Taco Bell. The other followed behind him and dropped a receipt on my notes as he said in English with his heavy Spanish accent: “Mi friend want me give this to you”. I waited until they had both left Taco Bell to fully examine the receipt and this is what I found: I felt like I was in middle school all over again. Back to those awkward years when you don’t have enough courage to talk to that special someone so you get your friend to do it for you! Needless to say, I won’t be calling Pablo!

2 comments:

  1. ok, that's it! I am NOT putting Pablo's name into a snack bag to pray for him. That is the extent of all I can do to just say...GOSH...but I will pray for YOU my dear daughter. I love you so very much. I can't blame Pablo for wanting to talk to you...because he saw what I already KNOW. You are beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DESTINATION WEDDING!
    hahahahahahahhahahahaha jk!
    i love your awkward boy stories
    and like your mom i am praying for you!
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...