Saturday, June 12, 2010

Almost Time!

Last night it hit me for the first time that I am REALLY going to COSTA RICA! I decided to take an email break as I was packing, and was surprised to see an email with the subject line: “Greetings from Costa Rica”!! My heart instantly skipped a beat and I quickly opened the email. It was addressed as following: “Hello Abbygail!!” (As you may know, it has always been a pet peeve of mine when people pronounce my name as: Abby-Gail. However, when said with a Spanish accent, all grievances are excused!) I continued reading and discovered that the email was from my soon-to-be Costa Rican brother, Carlo!! He wrote to inform me that his mother would be picking me up tomorrow in the airport wearing all green and holding a sign with my name on it! I am assuming that he is in college (Because of course I looked him up on facebook! Haha) and does not live with his family as he said in his email: “Hopefully I will meet you sometime this summer”. So why would he be the one to send me an email, I wondered? And then the puzzle pieces came together. He must be the only one in the family that speaks English (And through his email it was clear that English was his second language…), which is why his mom must have had him correspond with me. This is great news! Hopefully I will be living with a family that only speaks Spanish! That way I will have no escape from the language and will hopefully learn more! His email was the first correspondence that I have had with my Costa Rican family and was my wake-up call that this really is happening!!

Early tomorrow morning I will be taking off for San José, Costa Rica! My bags are almost all packed and I’m so excited! I have no idea what to expect, but I’m excited for many new experiences and adventures ☺. I will be sad to say goodbye to my family for eight weeks, and to be missing-out on all of the festivities of summer in Louisville. But the Lord has shown me in so many ways that this is His plan for me and I can’t wait to experience this adventure with Him and to see what He has in store! Thank you so much to everyone for your support, prayers, and friendship! Bad news: I will not be taking my cell phone! But the good news is that I will have some Internet access (It may be very limited) and I will be updating this blog when I can. The best way to keep in touch with me is through facebook. Next time I write, I will be in Costa Rica! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...