Sunday, June 13, 2010

¡Estoy en Costa Rica!

I have arrived in the beautiful country of Costa Rica! I have only been here for a few hours and yet I already have so much that I could write about! What an experience this has been thus far!

The adventure began around seven this morning when we left for the airport. The whole family came to drop me off. It was sad saying goodbye to my family; I’ve never been away from home for more than five weeks! (Even when I’m in college I do come home every few weeks so it’s never been this long before!)

Pretty soon I was on my way to Texas! That flight was only a few hours long and went by pretty quickly. The lady sitting next to me bought far too much alcohol, was wearing excessive make-up, and I felt like she was staring at me the whole way – it was awkward! I arrived in TX and quickly booked it to my next gate, which of course was on the opposite side of the airport! This is where the “culture” began to change…. Everything in the airport was translated into Spanish. It was my little integration for what was to come! I soon boarded my last flight. Destination: San José, Costa Rica! As Dad was helping me get checked in, we discovered that I could upgrade to first class for only $19!! I truly have the best dad in the word – he upgraded me to first class! So I had a window seat in first class for this flight and it was SWEET!

A cute little eight-year-old girl sat next to me and I enjoyed hearing her give a commentary of everything that was happening during the duration of the flight ☺. The flight attendants in first class where much nicer than all of the other airline employees I had encountered earlier! They brought me a wet hot towelette to “wipe my hands and face”, as many drinks as I wanted, and a real lunch complete with chicken, a hot roll, salad, and vegetables! This flight went by even quicker than the last one (maybe it was because I was in first class?).

I loved having a window seat because I was able to look at the beautiful country as we flew into it! It was so wondrous – truly, what an awesome God we have who could create such a beautiful planet! The country is peppered with protected natural resources, such as parks, rain forests, mountains, rivers, and even a volcano – and I got to view them all from a bird’s eye view! Through the lush greenery below I could see little scattered houses with red clay roofs. The deep blue ocean was visible far off in the distance. Words just can’t describe how beautiful it was! I knew I was in for an adventure and thanked God for what was to come and that I get to experience it with Him in this gorgeous place that He created!

As I was gazing into God’s creation, I encountered my first Latino creeper. The man sitting in front of me was also gazing out his window and started conversing with me. He had a strong Spanish accent and must have been 50 years old. He was telling me all about the beautiful island – the volcano, the parks, how 99% of the country has electricity etc. I asked him if he was going for Business and said that he was just going to “party”…. A surprising answer from a 50 something-year-old dressed like a businessman! Then he told me that he was going to give me his number so that I could call him if I “needed anything”. I suddenly realized what was going on and told him that would not be necessary and cut off the conversation.

Well we finally landed! I started getting a little bit nervous… what if I couldn’t find my host family? What if I couldn’t understand anyone? All of these doubts started plaguing my mind. I reminded myself that God is always with me and that I can do all things through Him who gives me strength! I needed this reminder because as I got off the plane, it was clear that I was no longer in the U.S.! EVERYTHING was in Spanish! Everyone around me was speaking Spanish… it was everywhere. I looked around for “baggage claim” but of course saw no such label (I now know how to say “baggage Claim” en español!). I found an airport employee and asked him: “Donde está el baggage claim?” He laughed and gave me detailed directions in Spanish (Which I understood!! This gave me some much-needed confidence!). I found the baggage claim, then went through customs, and finally got my passport cleared.

I headed out to where I was supposed to meet my new family and was bombarded by taxi drivers all asking me if I needed a ride… I just kept responding “no gracias!” Apparently I wasn’t the only one meeting someone I had never met before because I walked through a long pathway made-up by people holding signs with names on them. Each person looked at me and held up his or her sign, silently questioning me if I was the one they were waiting for. But I was determined to find my Costa Rican family! I looked for a lady wearing all green and holding the right sign! Finally I saw her and I said: “soy Abigail Feinn!”. She instantly embraced me and was full of exclamations: “¡AHH Abbygail!! ¡Bueno! ¡Bienvenido! ¿Como estás? Soy Celci! Esto es mi hijo Carlo!” She talked very fast and I had a hard time catching everything that she was saying but I understood that she did not speak English, that she would take me to her house, and that she was glad to see me! She also told me that she loves to talk and I instantly believed her! She was with her 24-year-old son Carlo (who does speak some English, which was helpful when I got stuck on a word!).

The three of us loaded into their vehicle and headed into the heart of San José! I love them already! They are so friendly and nice! As we drove through the city they gave me a commentary of what we were passing, what I should expect, told me about themselves, and asked me about myself (and again, this is all in Spanish!). They told me that I am their second student to live with them. They just had a girl leave that was with them for a year! They said that she didn’t know any Spanish when she came and that she learned “muchas muchas!”. This was encouraging to hear! And although we did have some difficulty conversing, she kindly said: “¡Su español esta muy bien!” (I think she has overestimated my Spanish abilities as she and her husband have been speaking to me as if I have lived here for years ever since I arrived. They go on and on and on and sometimes I only catch the jift of what they are saying, but I nod appropriately and insert: “sí!” Or “Bueno!” Whenever necessary!) Carlo does not live with Celsi and her husband (his step-dad), he is a student at La Universidad de Costa Rica, majoring in Chemical engineering. Celsi lives with her husband Willi (spelling on all of those names is probably wrong!).

We soon arrived in her quaint little neighborhood. All of the houses are compact and joined together. The front of her house has a jail-like gate that opens up into a little one car garage. Then you walk into the kitchen, followed by the living room and dining room. Their house is SO BEAUTIFUL! I love it! It’s very cultural! I have my own room upstairs. It is very tiny, but just what I need! The kitchen opens up into a little garden area (It is very small and comprises their “yard”). Three white poodles greeted me - much to my surprise! I never expected there to be French poodles in Costa Rica!! Thank you Shelby for training me for this summer! They also have a talking parrot, another bird, and several LARGE gold fish! (I will take pictures of all of this and put them on facebook!)

Celsi served us lunch (it was 3:00 haha). It was very good! Aroz con pollo (chicken and rice – my kind of food!), with vegetables and mango juice! Carlo and I were talking and he said something to me in English, Willi heard him and immediately said: “¡Solomente habla Español!” – there will be no cheating this summer! Haha ☺

After lunch Carlo helped me set up Internet on my computer (YES! TECHNOLOGY!!!) And I unpacked my things. Then I paid Celi and she responded: “Gracias! Ahora, tu eres mi hija y yo soy su madre!” (Thank you! Now you are my daughter and I am your mother!).

Around 7:00 we ate dinner. It was some sort of chicken noodle soup. Carlo had already left so it was just Celsi, Willi, and I. It was very interesting talking to them! The started telling me lots of stories and I only caught bits and pieces of it all. I did learn that Willi has his own company doing security for houses and other companies in San José (This explains the jail-like entry!). I guess he helps install security measures like barred windows, walls etc (at least that’s what I thought I understood! I may clarify later!). I do know for sure that he works with security (Mom and Dad, feel very comforted by this!). He gave me instructions on what I should not do to stay safe and avoid robbers (don’t ever talk on my phone in public, bring my labtop out of the house, keep money hidden etc.). Then he said (and I know that I heard this right!) “Don’t worry, if anyone comes in this house I will shoot them! Hahaha!” I feel safe!

Celsi no longer works, but her past job is just as interesting! Apparently, she used to do administration/social work. She used to work for the government helping them fight prostitution! (At least that’s what I think she said!)

Tomorrow morning Celsi is going to walk me to school, which she informs me is only five minutes away. Apparently she LOVES to walk and walks every morning for at least an hour! I think I am going to love my Costa Rican family!

Well this is already VERY long! Sorry if I have bored you with all of these details! Adios para ahora! I’ll write again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Muy Bien my sweet daughter! I love you so very much and have not stopped praying for you and Zach...We all miss you so very much but I know that this is the Lord's plan for you, Abbey! HE is so very proud of your brave heart and willing feet to go where He is leading! I am praying for the gift of tongues for you. Callie tried to take a Sabbath nap with me yesterday. I think she also misses you. It did not go over well and in the end, she napped in your pink chair. Write in your blog often. We love seeing Costa Rica through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...